[What? I’m carbo-loading in honor of all of my friends who are running MCM this weekend.]
Seriously though, I just made some fucking DELICIOUS grilled cheese. I like you guys so much, I’m sharing my recipe:
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided.
- 1 small onion
- 2 slices of bread. I used whole wheat because that’s what I had, but this would have been amazing on some Challa bread.
- Cheese! The more the merrier. I had extra sharp cheddar and some shredded taco cheese (don’t judge). It would have been even better with some goat cheese though.
- Tomato, sliced. This is optional but if you don’t like tomato on your grilled cheese then there is probably something wrong with you.
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt (mine was home-made and non-fat)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (mine was also home-made!)
- Slice the onion into thin rings, and then cut the rings in half. With the burner on medium-high, place onions in a pan with half of the butter and toss until onion is coated with melted butter. Continue to stir occasionally until onions are partially caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Onions will be translucent, slightly browned, and slightly sweet when done.
- Set the onions aside.
- Prepare the SPECIAL SAUCE: Mix the yogurt, sriracha, and honey. Coat one side of each slice of bread. (It sounds crazy, but it WILL TASTE DELICIOUS. Trust me!)
- Slice your cheeses & tomatoes. Place on top of the coated side of one slice of bread. Pile some onions on top.* Cover with the second slice of bread, SPECIAL SAUCE side down.
- Throw half a tablespoon of butter into the same pan you used to cook the onions.; let it melt over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add the grilled cheese in the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid. This will help your cheese melt faster.
- Lift the lid periodically to check the bread on the bottom. When it’s about done (don’t burn it, that would be sad), spread the rest of the butter on the top slice of bread and then FLIP IT OVER.
- Give the grilled cheese a good firm press with your spatula and then replace the lid. Cook for another minute or so, just until the bread is cooked to your liking on each side.
- That’s it! Sit down and enjoy the MOST DELICIOUS GRILLED CHEESE EVER.
*Save your extra caramelized onions for later - they’ll keep in the fridge for a while and they taste amazing on sammiches, in omelets, etc.
NOM NOM NOM