Top Photo (aka: what you need):
- Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Roasted garlic butter (more on that below)
- Caramelized onions (more on that below)
- Bread, two slices
- Honey mustard
Spread the outsides of the bread with the garlic butter. The honey mustard goes on the insides.
Bottom Photo (aka: results): ham and caramelized onion grilled cheese sandwich. It could probably do with a fancier name.
Roasted garlic butter:
- Roast a full head of garlic (45 minutes in 400 degree oven; lop the top off, drizzle some olive oil on it, wrap it all up in aluminum foil). Let it cool before you do the next step.
- Squeeze cooled garlic out of its paper and mix with a stick of softened salted butter.
- Slice up an onion, add salt+pepper.
- Cook with about two tablespoons of oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally (and lowering the heat if you think they’re getting more burned than caramelized), until gooey and brown and tasty.